SECTION B: SHOW SANCTIONING
SECTION B: SHOW SANCTIONING
1. For a show to be sanctioned by the NBHA, a written request must be made to the District Director on an NBHA Sanctioned Show Request Form. A $30 sanctioning fee must accompany this request. If the show is to be published in the Barrel Horse News, the request form must be received by NBHA Headquarters 60 days prior to the show. To be approved as a sanctioned show, the request form and fee must be received at NBHA Headquarters at least 14 days prior to the requested show date. State Directors will have final approval for all sanctioned shows. NBHA points will not be awarded for shows that are not properly sanctioned.
2. Sanctioned shows may pay out on either the 3D, 4D, or 5D format.
3. The NBHA will sanction only one show on a given date within a district, except that two separate NBHA runs may be sanctioned on the same day at the same arena. No sanctioned NBHA point shows will be approved for dates that would interfere with members from attending their State Championships, the World Championships, the Youth World Championships or a National Championship Series Show held within the same region.
4. Shows will be sanctioned on a first-come, first-serve basis. The NBHA reserves the right to refuse sanctioning for a particular date or show if it is determined not to be in the best interest of the NBHA or its members.
5. A district shall have no fewer than six (6) nor more than eighteen (18) sanctioned shows per competition year.
6. To be sanctioned, a show must offer all NBHA members in good standing, regardless of age or sex, the opportunity to compete. NBHA members may not be required to enter any other class, or join any other association or club, or pay any non-member fee or permit fee to any association or club, as a condition of riding in an NBHA sanctioned class.
7. There will be three classes of competition as follows:
Youth/Teen (18 years of age and under)
Senior (50 years of age and over)
Proof of age may be required at the discretion of Show Management.
a.Show Management may allow eligible contestants to rollover their time in the Open class for the Youth or Senior class. Contestants wishing to rollover a time must declare their intent before event begins. Any contestant carrying time must pay the applicable entry fee for both classes and is eligible to win prize money and NBHA points just as if the time was run in the other class. If this is done, the Open must be run first. The pattern for the Open, Youth and Senior must be exactly the same and must not be changed in any manner
b. The NBHA points, and payout, if any, will be determined based only on those riders who qualify for that particular class (Youth or Seniors).
8. a) A competitor's age in the Youth class will be determined as of the first day of the NBHA competition year, which is January 1 of each year.
b) A competitor may ride in the Senior class at any time on or after his/her 50th birthday.
9. All sanctioned shows must have an electronic timing system and conform to the NBHA rules. (Note: NBHA events will be timed to thousandths of seconds if the clock being used displays three decimal places.)
10. The District Director must submit show results of all NBHA classes (Open, Youth, and Senior) to their State Director WITHIN SEVEN DAYS after the show. Please note that results must be reported in the 5‑D format, regardless of whether the show used the 3‑D, 4-D or 5‑D payout formula. POINT STANDINGS MUST BE POSTED IN A PUBLIC LOCATION BY THE DISTRICT DIRECTOR AT EVERY SHOW FOR MEMBERS TO SEE. When a member disagrees with points awarded on the DISTRICT POINT SHEETS, that member will have 14 days, from the date points are posted, to bring any discrepancies to the attention of the District Director and, if necessary, to file a written protest in accordance with SECTION 10 of this Rule Book. If points are not posted in a public location at a show, members should notify their State Director. If that fails to resolve the problem, notify their Regional Director in writing.
11. Directors must use good judgment in order not to create a travel distance hardship on members and risk revocation of sanction. State Directors will have final approval authority for all co-sanctioned shows.
12. The sanction fee for a co-sanctioned show is $30, no matter how many districts participate. However, each district director must sign off on the show for their district, either by signing the same form or by submitting their own form. A co-sanctioned show must be sanctioned for the district in which it actually takes place, unless specific permission has been given by the Districtl Director.
13. If a show is co-sanctioned, and the host district later decides to cancel the sanction, the show may continue as sanctioned for any or all of the visiting districts which decide to keep the sanction. The original host district may not sanction another show within that district on the same day.
14. A contestant's current NBHA membership card or a copy of current membership application must be presented to the show secretary prior to entering an NBHA sanctioned show.
15. Non-members may compete for prize money at an NBHA sanctioned show only upon payment of a non-member permit fee. A non-member permit fee, in the amount of ten dollars ($10.00) will be collected from each non member seeking to enter each NBHA sanctioned show. The fee collected will permit non-members to enter one NBHA show and compete in all classes for which they are qualified. Non-member permit fees collected will be deposited in the district account for year end awards. District Directors may waive the non-member permit fee for members of other approved clubs and associations only during a co-sanctioned event with the non-member's club or association.
The NBHA reserves the right to refuse co-sanctioning for a particular date or show if it is determined not to be in the best interest of the NBHA or its members.
16. Organizations and individuals requesting NBHA sanctioned shows must use the official NBHA logo in all show bills and display advertising. Classified advertising and show listings must contain the words "NBHA Sanctioned". Camera-ready copies of the NBHA logo are available through your District Director.
17. As a condition of sanction, shows may be asked to display promotional items provided by select NBHA national sponsors.